This article is about some of the most interesting elf owl facts that are not widespread. The Elf Owl belongs to the family of Micrathene whitneyi and it breeds all throughout Southern United States. In summer, these types of owls migrate to New Mexico. These birds begin to hunt at the twilight hour.
Elf Owl Facts
- Elf owls weigh around 40 g (1.4 oz).
- These species of owls have a wingspan of about 27 cm (10.6 inches).
- The length of elf owls is about 12.5 – 14.5 cm (4.7 – 5.5 inches).
- These birds have long legs as compared to other kinds of owls.
- Males are slightly smaller than females.
What Do Elf Owls Eat
Elf owls primarily feed on small insects, moths, flies, cricket, grasshoppers, locusts, larvae, caterpillars, cicades, centipedes, beetles, scorpions, and flying insects. These owls use burrows to store their prey such as snake, lizards and mice.
Read More: What Do Different Types of Owls Eat?
Where Do Elf Owls Live
They are commonly found in the subtropical forests and woodlands. These types of owls have also been found in lush-green forests, riparian woodlands, canyons, plateau, mountain slopes, and dry areas like deserts. The holes in which elf owls make their nests are made by woodpeckers such as Arizona woodpeckers. Most common plants of their nesting are cottonwoods, cacti, mesquite and oak. Elf owls are mainly found in River Valley, Rio Grande Valley, and Baja California. During the breeding period, these owls produce high-pitched sounds.
Elf Owl Facts about its Reproduction
- The females lay 2 – 3 eggs with an interval of 2 – 3 days.
- The incubation (keeping warm) period lasts for 3 weeks and females do this usually; while males are responsible for bringing on the food.
- The chicks fledge out after 60 – 70 days.
- The breeding period lasts for June to July.
- Elf owls have a lifespan of 5 years.
Species of Elf Owls
- Micrathene whitneyi graysoni
- Micrathene whitneyi idonea
- Micrathene whitneyi sanfordi
- Micrathene whitneyi whitneyi
What is the day this website was published and who was this sponsored by.