What do flamingos eat is a difficult question to deal with since these birds possess unique style of feeding mainly due to their unusual physical structure. Like any other bird, flamingos also need some healthy nutrients that should foster their strength as well as ability to flee when fish-eagle shows aggression. Majority of the people are ignorant about flamingos diet and instead provide them substandard or wrong food thereby making it hard for the flamingos to survive.
However, let’s have a look at what do flamingos eat generally and how do they ingest their food with an elongated narrow part. I’ve compiled few of the most important foodstuffs that the flamingos love to eat.
What Do Flamingos Eat?
- The primary healthy food of flamingos includes tiny young bugs and larval, algae of green and shades, crustaceans along with a whole heap of little fish.
- You may wonder about the healthy-looking shade of these birds. The flushed hue of flamingos mainly derives from the food intake that is rich in alpha-beta carotenoid tinctures, which is readily present in algae.
- Actually the bill inside flamingos governs the patterns of eating and may possess thin or perhaps deep bills like Andean or Lesser flamingos.
- Likewise, thin-bill birds including flamingos from Chile and Caribbean usually eat young bugs or little fish. The Caribbean flamingos like to be fueled by larval and brine shrimp as their primary diet. The rate at which these birds strain water differs as Caribbean flamingos sifts water at a slow pace of four to five times per second while eating at almost 270 grams of food every day.
- Flamingos gobble almost 60 grams or 2.1 oz. of foodstuff per day. It may be astounding for some of those who wonder what do flamingos eat because a study revealed that such birds also propel water inside their bills in order to sift foodstuff at an alarming rate of twenty times per second. In the process, it manages to separate bacteria at the rate that is hard to believe. Besides, in order to evade their head immersed in water, they continue to feed with their bills overturned. The food is so infinitesimal for them that they have to drink as a minimum of 4 gallons of water every day. It takes a lot of hours for flamingos to eat and so requires a great deal of patience for the person feeding them
Flamingos have to ignore consuming excess calories while feeding since intake of food in deep waters while moving your head back and forth consumes scores of calories. Whereas, eating in an upright posture is relatively less challenging nevertheless it is very dangerous at the same time.
Interesting information about Flamingos
Videos about feeding Flamingos